Sunday 18 April 2010

Old and New Around the House

Vintage. Retro. Or just plain old. Whatever really, as long as it holds a story to it. Most of the toys our Daughter has are second hand. I would prefer for all of our furniture to be of the battered, old type. And one of the biggest loves of my life are old, dogeared books. If it has the name, or names, of the previous owner on the front page, all the better. Sleek, modern lines have no place in this home. 

Today was a gray, gray day. Again. So I went around the house and photographed bits and pieces that caught my eye. Mind you, I'm not a photographer, really, so pardon the weird quality of the pictures. 



Another flea-market find, a basket bag. And a vintage brooch from a weirdest little shop kept by a, well, slightly, ahemmm, eccentric Lady who holds on to her merchandise dating to the early 1960's with such a vigour that the shop is filled from floor to the ceiling with all sorts of vintage goodies to do with beauty. Last time I dropped by she told me that she prefers to sell only to such customers as she sees are the 'real' kind. I never quite figured out what she meant by that but she seems to be happy to sell to me and comes up with all sorts of hidden little gems for me as well so whatever it means, suits me. 



  

This is I guess a sugar and salt dish from Portugal, from the Husband's family. Meaning that I guess it's for sugar and salt, the rest I know for a fact. We've been moving house, and country, for so many times that the Husband is terrified of pieces like this getting lost. Not to worry, though, this is exactly the sort of thing I like to fill my home with. Basically rather useless but terrifyingly beautiful things that are a horror to keep clean but stop me in my tracks multiple times a day just to pause and look at them. And think. Of the past. And the future.


 I could hardly be described as androgynous. Ok, even I have to laugh now, that must be the understatement of the year. Enough said. These sweet little vintage earrings are from Luxembourg. Most likely originally from France, but that's where I bought them from. The only problem with them, as with any other piece of vintage bijou not made of gold or silver is that I am allergic to them. Before, I could use most pieces if I kept the contact with the skin brief, but now even that is not possible. Sigh. So the youngest Sister keeps receiving pieces of costume jewelery that I just couldn't resist but then can not wear. These earrings I will keep though. First, they are too 'pretty' for her, and second, I am planning on covering the part that actually touches the ear with something.



 The rare stuff on the bookshelves that is actually anything other than books. And, as you can see, some of this stuff is, well, books too. The picture on the back is of the Husband's family long gone. And on top of the books is his old compass. I think that if he could be anywhere in the world it would be anywhere in the world on a sailboat. On the other hand, I can't sail and get terribly sea sick even on a rowboat, so the little bits on top of the book on chivalry belong to me and are connected to an entirely more sedate activity. Those are my vintagey thread cutter and needle holder. Although I guess one could sew on a sailboat too....



And here we have the old and the new. Drawings and other handicrafts by our Daughter share space with vintage postcards and I believe there is a picture of me blowing out birthday candles. There are four candles on that cake, so trust me, that picture is vintage indeed.

  
Today I leave you with this. It means yes. This and a plethora of other lovely thingies were purchased in a tiny shop in Porto called Casa de Lo. The last I checked they don't have a website but if you happen to be in Porto, be sure to drop by. Besides stationery they also sell all sorts of old-fashioned sweets and delicacies as well as the delightful Pao de Lo cake. The address is Travessa de Cedofeita, no 20, a tiny side street where there is also a nice antiques shop that you could easily spend a day and a fortune in.

No comments:

Post a Comment