Sunday 2 May 2010

Road Trip for a Cake

How far would you travel for your cake supplies? Across the town? Nowhere, you do your shopping online? 120 kilometers or 75 mails? Well that is exactly how far I am going to be driving tomorrow in search of proper cake decorating supplies. And not only that, I will actually be crossing the border into another country. Weird, huh? But a woman's got to do what a woman's got to do. At least I managed to rope my youngest Sister to go with me. A road trip for a cake. But why on earth are we doing this, you may very well ask. Weeeell, I have a lady I've never met before coming to see me on Wednesday, armed with a camera and a pen. Probably not a pen though, I suppose journalists are a whole lot differently equipped these days. But you read right. This little blog and a little cake of mine are going to be featured in a local newspaper. Weheee. To be honest with you though, I'm scared stiff. I'm supposed to be decorating the cake while chatting to her about blogging. Yeah, right. But unless I am willing to have a picture taken of a angel-food-cake-turned-omelet or something similar, I need to get my act together. 

This is what I got done this morning.



It's supposed to be a Mother's Day cake. Now, if I were doing it solely for our own use, I think I would be more experimental with the decorations, but I wanted this one to be more traditional, pretty and light. The cake itself is going to be a basic sponge with strawberry (or raspberry, haven't decided yet) mousse filling. I was meaning to make the apple blossoms and bows a lighter, more pinkier shade, but ended up with this rather salmony color which will just have to do. The flower centers are little gum paste drops colored with pearl food dust by Squires Kitchen. The flowers and bows themselves are made from marzipan, also colored with Squires Kitchen gel coloring. This is why we're going on a road trip tomorrow. I do not want to cover the whole cake with marzipan, so I need either sugar fondant or MMF. The things I do for a cake...

It has been raining a lot here in the past couple of days. So I wanted something pretty to brighten up the outside door. And while the Daughter was making these:




I made this:


The inside is made of the filling of an old lumpy pillow, ripped apart and just hand stitched together on the top. For wrapping it I used first some flowery cotton and on top of that some cotton lace. The hand-made lace for the bow came from an old sheet.

And I still haven't gotten around to fixing that table. But all in due time, after all, it's only been what, five years. I just don't seem to be able to decide on a color. For a long time I was so sure it was going to be white. Of course. But now, maybe turquoise. Or....pink. I wonder if they sell paints that color where we're going tomorrow...or paint brushes...or....

No comments:

Post a Comment