Sunday 9 May 2010

Goat Cheese and Various Vegetables Quiche

I was making this quiche after getting a bit carried away with a Swiss Roll, and by the time it was time to make the cream mixture, I realised I had no eggs left. So I ran to the neighbour to borrow some. Very nice of her to help out, must remember to bake her something yummy as a thank you. And it's actually a surprisingly rare event that I have to do that, run to a neighbour to borrow a cooking or baking ingredient that is, considering how scatterbrained I am being these days. Usually I just make do and improvise, with various degrees of success obviously. But in this case unless I was willing to dip the pie crust in pieces in herb flavored cream there really was no way of getting away from the eggs as I don't think gelatin would quite have done the trick...

For this one you will need either a pre-made pie base or you can just whip one up yourself like this. I usually just put whatever vegetables happen to be available at the moment, in this case it was chopped broccoli, cauliflower, onions and tomato. Zucchini works perfectly fine, as does aubergine, bell peppers or even carrots. Carrots I would recommed you grate and cook for a while on a pan with some olive oil. Same goes for the zucchini, aubergine and peppers. Or any other vegetable with a longer cooking time.  I chopped some fresh basil on top of the veggies, you could also use a mixture such as herbes de provence or similar. Then make the cream sauce. Take around 2 desilitres/1 cup of cream, add two eggs, a pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper and stir. Then add grated cheese of your choice. I happened to have emmenthal and mozzarella languishing in the fridge so that's what I used.  Pour the cream micture on top of the veggies. Last, take some herbed goat cheese, slice into thin slices an place on top of the quiche. Cook for about half an hour at 225C/437F until golden. Enjoy.



It really is that simple. And that delicious. And now I'm going on a cake baking hiatus since I need to get the dress done. Until next weekend, that is, when my Older Younger Sister is coming to visit from the south with her spouse, and, of course, a cake is so obviously needed. Also, I need to get back on track with my academic reading. I received some very, very welcome thesis writing advise recently from my Youngest of the PhD. Writing Sisters ( yes, they're both doing that) and feel far less intimidated about the prospect now. So, on that note:

I want to be unconstrained
therefore I care not a fig for noble styles
I roll up my sleeves
The dough of poetry is rising...
Oh what a pity
that I cannot bake cathedrals...
Highness of forms-
goal of persistent longing.
Child of the present-
does your spirit not have a proper shell?
Before I die
I shall bake a cathedral.

Edith Södergran






1 comment:

  1. Wish you could have borrowed some eggs from me. I would love to be rewarded with one on your cakes. I'll just have to enjoy the pictures.

    ReplyDelete